Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Change Brings the Miracles!

Sis Barnes and Sis Dente... training Sis Brewer

Zone Conference


Seems to me that change brings miracles! We learn from the scriptures and PMG that change is really repentance. So what I can gather from putting those together is that adding a third new companion, changing the way we do our missionary work, means that we are repenting. I would invite you all to repent, or to change your life a little bit and to try to be a little bit more like our oldest brother Jesus Christ.

I will get all spiritual in just a minute. Last week, I feel like I should probably admit this now… my letter was a little bit of a wreck, because just like five minutes before we got to the library, I got pulled over!!! AHHHH!!! Actually, it wasn’t even scary. So I was driving, like always, and all of the sudden I saw a cop behind me with its lights on, and Sister Dente was like "I think he is pulling you over.” So I pulled over and took out my license. He asked me if I knew what the speed limit was on the road and I was honest and said no, because I had just turned on from a different road and with all the construction didn’t see the sign saying 25, not 35 :). So he went and processed my license. The car was silent. I was praying so hard that God's will could be done, and if it was His will, that I wouldn’t get a ticket. And..... God answers prayers!!!! He came back and said have a good day, so I said YOU TOO, and thank you for doing your job!!! Anyway, made my day, and helped me remember to go the speed limit always. So ya, Heavenly Father blesses his missionaries.
This week has been a little challenging only because we have had to learn how to teach with three people. It is hard because your whole mission you get trained and practice with two. But we have been doing great. We have had to evaluate and adjust, I have had to talk a little less at times and others talk a little more, but we are great! Our lesson outline is about faith. We use Alma 32:21, 1 Nephi 3:7, and Dan 3:17-18. We each picked one; I picked Daniel because I love how they say "but if not." I believe and know God does miracles; I am trying to work on my faith that if he doesn’t it is still a miracle. Otherwise known to me as "but if not" faith.

Last Sunday, I gave a talk and used the scripture Romans 8:26-28. But it describes in amazing detail that if we pour out our hearts to God, and have the spirit in our prayers, he will understand our deepest desires, and concerns. We just have to try, I think that is amazing!!!!!! Also while up on the stand waiting to give my talk last week. I was a little nervous and a little bored without Sister Dente with me. Then in walked the V. family kids!!! Then I couldn’t stop smiling, and I felt a little embarrassed because I had a huge grin on my face during the opening hymn and first talk. Hopefully everyone wasn’t too confused or concerned at this crazy happy missionary who is giving a talk. Anyway, that was a huge miracle to see them there, even without their mom! I love this family!!!
We had Zone Conference this week, it was amazing! Zone conference is where several zones come together and the APs and President and others speak to us. The main thing we learned is to first follow up on our last commitment, then ask how they are progressing towards baptism, then use points from how to begin teaching (PMG) and then briefly explain how our lesson is going to help them get closer to Jesus Christ and help them towards baptism. It has been working amazingly well!!!! Here is what happened...

First, last Sunday we had an 18 year old kid come up to us and ask if we could teach him, of course we said yes! So we taught him this week, it was amazing! We did everything preach my gospel tells us to do and it went really well! We invited him to be baptized and..... he accepted! He will be baptized on September 14th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was amazing and the spirit was so strong, he is SO prepared by the Lord! On Saturday we invited him to come to a baptism, and he came! He loved it! After he started asking us questions like, who is going to baptize me, and who is going to speak?! Then on Sunday he asked several people to pray and speak and baptize him! This kid is amazing! So of course, being me, and being the 2nd ward, he is not in our ward and we are passing him off this week to the other sisters. But it is still cool. We also have this other guy who has been coming to our ward. He is the one that could see the light in my eyes (just to make reference). He is also getting baptized in a few weeks!!! Basically our ward is amazing at finding amazing people to get baptized, but they are all in other wards! Someday I know I will find someone in our ward boundaries who wants to get baptized. We just got to work and be patient. I love the people of this ward, especially the Relief Society presidency. Just wanted to throw that out there :)

We had our lesson with the old German lady, who has been taking lessons for 3 years, and whose husband is a recent convert of a year. But this lesson was different; we used what we learned in zone conference and big things changed. First she told us that she was going to have to move the date for her baptism (the date is in her mind, but we know it is in October). We were all devastated. But after testifying, sharing personal stories, and using the scriptures, we committed her to ask Heavenly Father what day she should be baptized on, and she said that she might be baptized sooner than October. It was a "cross road" lesson, which means that she was at a fork in the road, she was going to either progress or digress in that lesson big time. I could feel the intensity, and the importance, but I think we did a good job, or rather we let the spirit take over and the spirit did an amazing job!

We have been helping a lot of active members recently, we make one cry at least a few times a week. It is really great to be able to help the members come closer to Christ too. A lot of people are going through a lot of hard times. I hate PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder).
We had a "cross road" lesson with M. this week. I can’t go into details, but basically she believes that she will never be able to go to the temple in this life. Which makes my heart hurt, I was devastated and heart broken. That is the worst thing I can ever think of. But we are still helping her and we testified and found scriptures that helped her. I hope and pray that she will make the hard but right choices in her life to help her get to the temple someday. And I want to be there when she goes!
We miraculously saw P. again (less active), and the Lord continues to show us how much He loves her. And for the first time in years- she came to church!!! It was amazing, and she loved it!
There are a lot of other little miracles and amazing things I have learned, but my pinky is starting to cramp, so I am going to just end now.

Well first I am going to say, I love Sister Walter, who trained me so well. It is hard to try to teach a new missionary everything you know. But I have tried, and focus on loving her and following the spirit. I am pretty impressed with myself in how well I can understand Portuguese though; I think the gift of tongues can work the other way when you are trying to listen to your new little baby and trying to understand what she is saying. Anyway, we all get along great, I love Sister Dente so much and we both love Sister Brewer. We are all getting along great, and she has helped us so much! It is amazing, and I love our little trio!!!

Above all, I still love putting on my nametag, I love everyone I meet, and I love being a missionary!!!! I love you all!!!!!!!!!
Love, Sister Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment