Tuesday, April 29, 2014

This was the BEST week of my mission! Miracles are real!!!!

Kate's Baptism
Erica and Tayla's Baptism 
Kate, Sis Clark, Sis Barnes, Tayla ... Happy Day!
Sis Clark and Sis Barnes at the Gila Valley Temple


Dear Family,
Holy moly, this was such an amazing week!!!! I will get to the super good parts as they come. But I need to build some suspense first by telling you all the other miracles that happened! To give you a clue, I studied baptism, our first covenant in PMG today!

On Tuesday we went to the temple! I LOVE THE TEMPLE!!!!! We got to go to Gila Valley and it was beautiful! There was a ton of flowers, which was a very nice change! The spirit was so strong the session was beautiful! I feel more strengthened and fortified and closer to the spirit. I have been able to recognize more little subtle promptings to repent, and to reach and serve. I LOVE THE TEMPLE!!! I also was reminded of the scripture 3 Nephi 9:14. I know that Christ’s arm is always extended toward us. He is always there for us waiting for us to repent and come unto Him. He is waiting for me and for YOU to come closer to Him. We can NEVER do anything to get out of His arms reach. We can always come back. I am so grateful for this!

On Tuesday we had a few minutes left to stay out and work. We prayed to know where to go and didn’t feel super sure about anywhere. So we just started walking! About three steps into the parking lot of the institute we ran into a girl who is one of my good friends, but is not a member of the church. She hangs out at the institute all the time and loves Mormons, but doesn’t ever plan on joining. But WE WERE ALBE to have a super good talk with her about Christ. Answer to our prayer!

On Wednesday we went to meet a referral and potentially new investigator down south. We decided to meet at a park. When we pulled up we were a little wary because it was a pretty sketchy park. Then we went to meet our guy- Adrian and he had a gun on his belt! This also made us a little nervous, but we didn’t feel to in danger. We ended up having a great lesson with him and he is a super amazing kid! He has amazing standards and is excited to meet more people with his same standards! I am excited for him and happy that we didn’t die! ha-ha, I am only joking, it really wasn’t that scary!

We also met with another new investigator, she is golden!!! She told us about a dream she had of getting baptized by a guy named J. At the end of the restoration we invited her to be baptized on May 24th. She was shocked because that is kind of soon and because J. leaves on his mission only 4 days after that! Later that week she broke her ankle really bad, but we all have faith that she can still make it to her baptism date! Please pray for her, she is so sweet. We were texting her and asking her how she was doing. She told us that the best part of her week was learning how to pray. She has been praying a lot with her ankle being all lame and has found a lot of comfort in prayer! God is real!!!

We had a great throw down lesson with K. We taught her the plan of salvation and the restoration all in one. We helped her clearly understand the priesthood and the difference between our church and Catholicism. It was great to testify boldly! I want to keep being super bold, it works way better!

Ok...
Now for the biggest miracle ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
On Thursday night as we were headed home we got a text from none other than Tayla! Back story: She knows the church is true and has been investigating since October. She had a really strong impression to be baptized in April. Then two weeks ago she dropped us and we haven’t heard a word from her in these last two weeks despite our best efforts. The text on Thursday night said this "Is it too late to be baptized on the 26th?” WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!! Holy cow, I cried like I baby, I was so overwhelmed and relieved and grateful for her faith! We didn’t know how it would work, but we knew it could if she was sincerely ready. So we met with her Friday, and she was super humble and sincere. She had her interview Friday and passed! Then the Elders were already having a baptism Saturday so we just slipped her into the program! It was such a miracle!

So Friday was Kate’s baptism! It was super perfect and the spirit was so strong! Her whole family came and their hearts were softened! Her mom even cried, we think it was happy spirit tears! Her testimony was super powerful! When she came out she told me that she was even more perfect than me, how true!!! Then Sunday her confirmation was super amazing! She was promised some amazing blessings.

Tayla was baptized on Saturday with Erica. It was so amazing. After being baptized we went back to help them change. When I saw Tayla I gave her a big hug and got all wet, but it was so worth it! She has been through SO MUCH to get here. I am grateful for her faith! She told me that she felt new, clean and relieved! Erica has also been through a lot to get here! I am grateful for these wonderful new sisters in the gospel!!!! Tayla's confirmation was absolutely incredible!!!! Both Kate and Tayla bore powerful testimonies during fast and testimony meeting. I felt so filled with love and gratitude, I can barely describe it! I guess it feels a like a little piece of heaven (think Nauvoo :))

So yep, there you have probably one of the best weeks of my entire life... for now! I love being a missionary and I love each of you! I know that satisfaction in missionary work does not come in watching a baptism but in sincerely doing the best you can and Heavenly Father witnessing that He is pleased with what you are doing. There was an amazing quote from PMG about prayer. I love prayer! I cherish the chances I have to speak with my heavenly father on my knees everyday! The quote said something like prayer is where our life begins, and it can shape us and our lives for the better. I love being a missionary! I can’t believe time is going by so fast! Although I haven’t seen you in a year, I will see you in a few weeks for mother’s day :). I am looking forward to it, although I am very very content being a missionary! I love it!!! 
Love, Sister Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment