Monday, December 2, 2013

Happy December!


Dear people who I love so much,
This week has been kind of crazy, but really good!
The week started off with the Thanksgiving food drive, which was so fun! I am so tight with all of the people that work there, and I love seeing so many different people, and being able to help so many different kinds of people! Coolest miracles of the food drive were- I got to see M.!!!! It was so good to see her again, after she moved to Douglas. She is not doing super well, please pray for her. I love her so much and she came so far with us! The other miracle was that we got to also go through the food line. We got a ton of food, including everything needed for thanksgiving and more. So we were trying to decide who in our ward we should give it to. We prayed and texted the RS president and the Bishop. After all agreeing on a family we stopped by and gave them the food. They were so grateful, and I absolutely love this family! It feels great to be able to serve people in physical ways as well as spiritual ways. Sometimes I miss being able to help people out by giving them food, and doing things like that. But I know I am doing the most important kind of service, so it makes it worth it!
P. is doing really great! She is so close to getting her temple recommend. All she needs to do is go to church regularly, things keep getting in the way, and we need to teach her about cleanliness a little bit (I know ironic right!). But she has such a desire to go, and she reads her scriptures like a champ!

Brother M. came to church again, he is doing so good and we are making plans for getting Sister M. to come too, I just love them!

On thanksgiving, we decided to stop by our two favorite older ladies. And it was a miracle that we did. The 91 year old had been brought to the emergency early that morning due to some health complications. The daughter, and also older lady was worn thin. She wanted to have her mother receive a blessing, but didn't know who to call (both of their home teachers moved in the last month). So we made a few phone calls, and with the help of the RS and HP, we got her new home teachers in touch. It was a miracle! Also we had thanksgiving at the church with a bunch of families, then did weekly planning a day early to avoid being fed by every member of our ward. We almost didn't get pie :( but after some tender mercies, we were lead to a members home who gave us a pie- thanksgiving was saved! I love pie! It was a great thanksgiving!

On Friday the elders called us and said that they had a pass off lesson for us. We went over there: Us, the elders, and her mom to answer some questions and bring her closer to God. After a lot of drama and tears we found out that she is an alcoholic and doesn't have any self-esteem. She is a wreck! We invited her to pray and ask God if he loved her. She said she didn't feel comfortable, but then we sat in silence, none of us could speak. A minute later she said, I prayed in my mind. Then she reached down in the carpet and picked up a little purple star (glitter). She said, my sister who passed away- this was her symbol. So she didn't quite get the answer we were hoping for, but she got an answer! What a miracle! Then after she said that she felt a lot better and wanted that spirit in her life more- yay, new investigator!!!! But she is the craziest of them all! This morning she called us, while I was just getting into the shower and told us that she needed our help ASAP. So I got out of the shower, mid shower. And got decently presentable and we sped over there as fast as we could. It turned out that she had lost her anxiety pills. So we prayed and looked and looked. We never found them, but ended up talking to her more and calmed her down. She has serious alcoholism, but we are going to try to help her. She really wants to do what's right and wants God to love her! Her heart is in the right place, and I am very hopeful for her progression. She did cause me a lot of stress though. After our first lesson, I realized that I- Sister Barnes, could not help her. I was super stressed this week; I felt the weight of the world and the gravity of my calling weighed down upon me. So I called upon the Savior and His atonement to give me strength, it took a little time, but it worked. I know His atonement is real, and that anyone can change if they desire too! I also know that any person can bless others if they have the spirit and the strength of Jesus Christ to back them up!
My goal this week is to have faith, not fear.

I love the people in the Sierra Vista 2nd Ward boundaries so much! They are just another portion of my family! I love being a missionary!!!
I love you all! Love, Sister Barnes

No comments:

Post a Comment